Searching in Firebase Null with onClick ListenerAvoiding != null statementsIs null check needed before calling instanceof?Why does EditText retain its Activity's Context in Ice Cream SandwichForce close onClick of ImageButton, can't figure out whyEditText & Enter keyAdding Social Media Share Logic From Firebase in AndroidYouTube Player crashes (java.lang.NullPointerException, null object reference)java.lang.NullPointerException when invoking onLoadFinished()Search Firestore query don't show data in RecycleViewHow to add child(Product) under a child(Store) in Firebase Database using RecyclerView
What is the Title of this fable where a Mongoose is getting married
Which is the best password hashing algorithm in .Net Core?
Given a specific computer system, is it possible to estimate the actual precise run time of a piece of Assembly code
Remove ads in Viber for PC
Meaning of "educating the ice"
Visiting girlfriend in the USA
How to check status of Wi-Fi adapter through command line?
Why don't they build airplanes from 3D printer plastic?
Ways you can end up paying interest on a credit card if you pay the full amount back in due time
If the UK government illegally doesn't ask for article 50 extension, can parliament do it instead?
Why didn't Thatcher give Hong Kong to Taiwan?
In chocolate terminology, what is the name of thinly sliced leaf-shaped toppings made from hot, smooth chocolate, used to form flower petals?
Are manifolds admitting a circle foliation covered by manifolds with a (non-trivial) circle action?
Displaying minutes in HH:MM format
Some questions about Lightning and Tor
Using GNU screen, I get raw prompt with backslashes
Is mathematics truth?
How to align values in table according to the pm and point?
How to fit Schwalbe Marathon Plus 28-622 on 622-16 rim
What is a "fat pointer" in Rust?
Is torque as fundamental a concept as force?
Why do old games use flashing as means of showing damage?
One hour 10 min layover in Newark; International -> Domestic connection. Enough time to clear customs?
Can a country avoid prosecution for crimes against humanity by denying it happened?
Searching in Firebase Null with onClick Listener
Avoiding != null statementsIs null check needed before calling instanceof?Why does EditText retain its Activity's Context in Ice Cream SandwichForce close onClick of ImageButton, can't figure out whyEditText & Enter keyAdding Social Media Share Logic From Firebase in AndroidYouTube Player crashes (java.lang.NullPointerException, null object reference)java.lang.NullPointerException when invoking onLoadFinished()Search Firestore query don't show data in RecycleViewHow to add child(Product) under a child(Store) in Firebase Database using RecyclerView
.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__bot-mid-leaderboard:empty margin-bottom:0;
I am trying to search for the information in my firebase db, and I am not able to do so.
This is the class in which I'm searching from:
private FirebaseRecyclerAdapter<DjProfile, ResultsViewHolder> firebaseRecyclerAdapter;
public static Query query;
public static String searchData;
DatabaseReference mProfileDatabase;
@Override
protected void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState)
super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
setContentView(R.layout.activity_attendee_landing);
Toolbar toolbar = findViewById(R.id.toolbar);
setSupportActionBar(toolbar);
final RecyclerView recyclerView = findViewById(R.id.results_recycler);
recyclerView.setLayoutManager(new LinearLayoutManager(this));
final EditText t = (EditText) findViewById(R.id.DjNameET);
mProfileDatabase = FirebaseDatabase.getInstance().getReference();
t.setOnEditorActionListener(new TextView.OnEditorActionListener()
@Override
public boolean onEditorAction(TextView textView, int i, KeyEvent keyEvent)
if(i == EditorInfo.IME_ACTION_SEARCH)
searchData = t.getText().toString();
return true;
return false;
);
ImageButton imgB= (ImageButton) findViewById(R.id.searchBtn);
imgB.setOnClickListener(new View.OnClickListener()
@Override
public void onClick(View view)
query = mProfileDatabase.orderByChild("djprofile")
.startAt(searchData)
.endAt(searchData + "uf8ff");
);
FirebaseRecyclerOptions<DjProfile> firebaseRecyclerOptions = new FirebaseRecyclerOptions.Builder<DjProfile>()
.setQuery(query, DjProfile.class)
.build();
firebaseRecyclerAdapter = new FirebaseRecyclerAdapter<DjProfile, ResultsViewHolder>(firebaseRecyclerOptions)
@NonNull
@Override
public ResultsViewHolder onCreateViewHolder(@NonNull ViewGroup viewGroup, int i)
View view = LayoutInflater.from(viewGroup.getContext()).inflate(R.layout.searchitem_list, viewGroup, false);
return new ResultsViewHolder(view);
@Override
protected void onBindViewHolder(@NonNull ResultsViewHolder holder, int position, @NonNull DjProfile model)
holder.setDjProfile(model);
;
recyclerView.setAdapter(firebaseRecyclerAdapter);
@Override
protected void onStart()
super.onStart();
firebaseRecyclerAdapter.startListening();

Here is the exception I am getting: (says to be occuring in the onStart() method)
java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method 'com.google.firebase.database.ChildEventListener com.google.firebase.database.Query.addChildEventListener(com.google.firebase.database.ChildEventListener)' on a null object reference
Any help as to why this is null would be greatly appreciated!
add a comment |
I am trying to search for the information in my firebase db, and I am not able to do so.
This is the class in which I'm searching from:
private FirebaseRecyclerAdapter<DjProfile, ResultsViewHolder> firebaseRecyclerAdapter;
public static Query query;
public static String searchData;
DatabaseReference mProfileDatabase;
@Override
protected void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState)
super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
setContentView(R.layout.activity_attendee_landing);
Toolbar toolbar = findViewById(R.id.toolbar);
setSupportActionBar(toolbar);
final RecyclerView recyclerView = findViewById(R.id.results_recycler);
recyclerView.setLayoutManager(new LinearLayoutManager(this));
final EditText t = (EditText) findViewById(R.id.DjNameET);
mProfileDatabase = FirebaseDatabase.getInstance().getReference();
t.setOnEditorActionListener(new TextView.OnEditorActionListener()
@Override
public boolean onEditorAction(TextView textView, int i, KeyEvent keyEvent)
if(i == EditorInfo.IME_ACTION_SEARCH)
searchData = t.getText().toString();
return true;
return false;
);
ImageButton imgB= (ImageButton) findViewById(R.id.searchBtn);
imgB.setOnClickListener(new View.OnClickListener()
@Override
public void onClick(View view)
query = mProfileDatabase.orderByChild("djprofile")
.startAt(searchData)
.endAt(searchData + "uf8ff");
);
FirebaseRecyclerOptions<DjProfile> firebaseRecyclerOptions = new FirebaseRecyclerOptions.Builder<DjProfile>()
.setQuery(query, DjProfile.class)
.build();
firebaseRecyclerAdapter = new FirebaseRecyclerAdapter<DjProfile, ResultsViewHolder>(firebaseRecyclerOptions)
@NonNull
@Override
public ResultsViewHolder onCreateViewHolder(@NonNull ViewGroup viewGroup, int i)
View view = LayoutInflater.from(viewGroup.getContext()).inflate(R.layout.searchitem_list, viewGroup, false);
return new ResultsViewHolder(view);
@Override
protected void onBindViewHolder(@NonNull ResultsViewHolder holder, int position, @NonNull DjProfile model)
holder.setDjProfile(model);
;
recyclerView.setAdapter(firebaseRecyclerAdapter);
@Override
protected void onStart()
super.onStart();
firebaseRecyclerAdapter.startListening();

Here is the exception I am getting: (says to be occuring in the onStart() method)
java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method 'com.google.firebase.database.ChildEventListener com.google.firebase.database.Query.addChildEventListener(com.google.firebase.database.ChildEventListener)' on a null object reference
Any help as to why this is null would be greatly appreciated!
1
The value ofqueryis null and throw this exception. According to the source code, the query is only assigned after theimgBis clicked.
– Liem Vo
Mar 28 at 2:29
I understand that. But I want to be able to search for something in that query once that ImageButton is clicked
– beastlyCoder
Mar 28 at 2:33
add a comment |
I am trying to search for the information in my firebase db, and I am not able to do so.
This is the class in which I'm searching from:
private FirebaseRecyclerAdapter<DjProfile, ResultsViewHolder> firebaseRecyclerAdapter;
public static Query query;
public static String searchData;
DatabaseReference mProfileDatabase;
@Override
protected void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState)
super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
setContentView(R.layout.activity_attendee_landing);
Toolbar toolbar = findViewById(R.id.toolbar);
setSupportActionBar(toolbar);
final RecyclerView recyclerView = findViewById(R.id.results_recycler);
recyclerView.setLayoutManager(new LinearLayoutManager(this));
final EditText t = (EditText) findViewById(R.id.DjNameET);
mProfileDatabase = FirebaseDatabase.getInstance().getReference();
t.setOnEditorActionListener(new TextView.OnEditorActionListener()
@Override
public boolean onEditorAction(TextView textView, int i, KeyEvent keyEvent)
if(i == EditorInfo.IME_ACTION_SEARCH)
searchData = t.getText().toString();
return true;
return false;
);
ImageButton imgB= (ImageButton) findViewById(R.id.searchBtn);
imgB.setOnClickListener(new View.OnClickListener()
@Override
public void onClick(View view)
query = mProfileDatabase.orderByChild("djprofile")
.startAt(searchData)
.endAt(searchData + "uf8ff");
);
FirebaseRecyclerOptions<DjProfile> firebaseRecyclerOptions = new FirebaseRecyclerOptions.Builder<DjProfile>()
.setQuery(query, DjProfile.class)
.build();
firebaseRecyclerAdapter = new FirebaseRecyclerAdapter<DjProfile, ResultsViewHolder>(firebaseRecyclerOptions)
@NonNull
@Override
public ResultsViewHolder onCreateViewHolder(@NonNull ViewGroup viewGroup, int i)
View view = LayoutInflater.from(viewGroup.getContext()).inflate(R.layout.searchitem_list, viewGroup, false);
return new ResultsViewHolder(view);
@Override
protected void onBindViewHolder(@NonNull ResultsViewHolder holder, int position, @NonNull DjProfile model)
holder.setDjProfile(model);
;
recyclerView.setAdapter(firebaseRecyclerAdapter);
@Override
protected void onStart()
super.onStart();
firebaseRecyclerAdapter.startListening();

Here is the exception I am getting: (says to be occuring in the onStart() method)
java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method 'com.google.firebase.database.ChildEventListener com.google.firebase.database.Query.addChildEventListener(com.google.firebase.database.ChildEventListener)' on a null object reference
Any help as to why this is null would be greatly appreciated!
I am trying to search for the information in my firebase db, and I am not able to do so.
This is the class in which I'm searching from:
private FirebaseRecyclerAdapter<DjProfile, ResultsViewHolder> firebaseRecyclerAdapter;
public static Query query;
public static String searchData;
DatabaseReference mProfileDatabase;
@Override
protected void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState)
super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
setContentView(R.layout.activity_attendee_landing);
Toolbar toolbar = findViewById(R.id.toolbar);
setSupportActionBar(toolbar);
final RecyclerView recyclerView = findViewById(R.id.results_recycler);
recyclerView.setLayoutManager(new LinearLayoutManager(this));
final EditText t = (EditText) findViewById(R.id.DjNameET);
mProfileDatabase = FirebaseDatabase.getInstance().getReference();
t.setOnEditorActionListener(new TextView.OnEditorActionListener()
@Override
public boolean onEditorAction(TextView textView, int i, KeyEvent keyEvent)
if(i == EditorInfo.IME_ACTION_SEARCH)
searchData = t.getText().toString();
return true;
return false;
);
ImageButton imgB= (ImageButton) findViewById(R.id.searchBtn);
imgB.setOnClickListener(new View.OnClickListener()
@Override
public void onClick(View view)
query = mProfileDatabase.orderByChild("djprofile")
.startAt(searchData)
.endAt(searchData + "uf8ff");
);
FirebaseRecyclerOptions<DjProfile> firebaseRecyclerOptions = new FirebaseRecyclerOptions.Builder<DjProfile>()
.setQuery(query, DjProfile.class)
.build();
firebaseRecyclerAdapter = new FirebaseRecyclerAdapter<DjProfile, ResultsViewHolder>(firebaseRecyclerOptions)
@NonNull
@Override
public ResultsViewHolder onCreateViewHolder(@NonNull ViewGroup viewGroup, int i)
View view = LayoutInflater.from(viewGroup.getContext()).inflate(R.layout.searchitem_list, viewGroup, false);
return new ResultsViewHolder(view);
@Override
protected void onBindViewHolder(@NonNull ResultsViewHolder holder, int position, @NonNull DjProfile model)
holder.setDjProfile(model);
;
recyclerView.setAdapter(firebaseRecyclerAdapter);
@Override
protected void onStart()
super.onStart();
firebaseRecyclerAdapter.startListening();

Here is the exception I am getting: (says to be occuring in the onStart() method)
java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method 'com.google.firebase.database.ChildEventListener com.google.firebase.database.Query.addChildEventListener(com.google.firebase.database.ChildEventListener)' on a null object reference
Any help as to why this is null would be greatly appreciated!
edited Mar 28 at 8:50
Chandrani Chatterjee
1,1427 silver badges20 bronze badges
1,1427 silver badges20 bronze badges
asked Mar 28 at 1:49
beastlyCoderbeastlyCoder
1,0771 gold badge11 silver badges34 bronze badges
1,0771 gold badge11 silver badges34 bronze badges
1
The value ofqueryis null and throw this exception. According to the source code, the query is only assigned after theimgBis clicked.
– Liem Vo
Mar 28 at 2:29
I understand that. But I want to be able to search for something in that query once that ImageButton is clicked
– beastlyCoder
Mar 28 at 2:33
add a comment |
1
The value ofqueryis null and throw this exception. According to the source code, the query is only assigned after theimgBis clicked.
– Liem Vo
Mar 28 at 2:29
I understand that. But I want to be able to search for something in that query once that ImageButton is clicked
– beastlyCoder
Mar 28 at 2:33
1
1
The value of
query is null and throw this exception. According to the source code, the query is only assigned after the imgB is clicked.– Liem Vo
Mar 28 at 2:29
The value of
query is null and throw this exception. According to the source code, the query is only assigned after the imgB is clicked.– Liem Vo
Mar 28 at 2:29
I understand that. But I want to be able to search for something in that query once that ImageButton is clicked
– beastlyCoder
Mar 28 at 2:33
I understand that. But I want to be able to search for something in that query once that ImageButton is clicked
– beastlyCoder
Mar 28 at 2:33
add a comment |
1 Answer
1
active
oldest
votes
To be able to initialize the adapter, you need to have a valid query. And to be able to create the query, you need to have the searchData. This means that the initialization of the firebaseRecyclerAdapter should happen inside the onClick.
imgB.setOnClickListener(new View.OnClickListener()
@Override
public void onClick(View view)
query = mProfileDatabase.orderByChild("djprofile")
.startAt(searchData)
.endAt(searchData + "uf8ff");
FirebaseRecyclerOptions<DjProfile> firebaseRecyclerOptions = new FirebaseRecyclerOptions.Builder<DjProfile>()
.setQuery(query, DjProfile.class)
.build();
firebaseRecyclerAdapter = new FirebaseRecyclerAdapter<DjProfile, ResultsViewHolder>(firebaseRecyclerOptions)
@NonNull
@Override
public ResultsViewHolder onCreateViewHolder(@NonNull ViewGroup viewGroup, int i)
View view = LayoutInflater.from(viewGroup.getContext()).inflate(R.layout.searchitem_list, viewGroup, false);
return new ResultsViewHolder(view);
@Override
protected void onBindViewHolder(@NonNull ResultsViewHolder holder, int position, @NonNull DjProfile model)
holder.setDjProfile(model);
;
recyclerView.setAdapter(firebaseRecyclerAdapter);
);
I am now getting a NullPointerException in my onStart() method when I tell the activity to start listening to the firebaseRecyclerAdapter
– beastlyCoder
Mar 28 at 19:59
Well yes, that would make sense if you callstartListeningon an adapter that hasn't been created yet. You should probably move that call to the end of theonClick.
– Frank van Puffelen
Mar 28 at 21:53
Yeah I've fixed it :)
– beastlyCoder
Mar 28 at 21:53
add a comment |
Your Answer
StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function ()
StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function ()
StackExchange.using("snippets", function ()
StackExchange.snippets.init();
);
);
, "code-snippets");
StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "1"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);
StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);
else
createEditor();
);
function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader:
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
,
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);
);
Sign up or log in
StackExchange.ready(function ()
StackExchange.helpers.onClickDraftSave('#login-link');
);
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Post as a guest
Required, but never shown
StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55389019%2fsearching-in-firebase-null-with-onclick-listener%23new-answer', 'question_page');
);
Post as a guest
Required, but never shown
1 Answer
1
active
oldest
votes
1 Answer
1
active
oldest
votes
active
oldest
votes
active
oldest
votes
To be able to initialize the adapter, you need to have a valid query. And to be able to create the query, you need to have the searchData. This means that the initialization of the firebaseRecyclerAdapter should happen inside the onClick.
imgB.setOnClickListener(new View.OnClickListener()
@Override
public void onClick(View view)
query = mProfileDatabase.orderByChild("djprofile")
.startAt(searchData)
.endAt(searchData + "uf8ff");
FirebaseRecyclerOptions<DjProfile> firebaseRecyclerOptions = new FirebaseRecyclerOptions.Builder<DjProfile>()
.setQuery(query, DjProfile.class)
.build();
firebaseRecyclerAdapter = new FirebaseRecyclerAdapter<DjProfile, ResultsViewHolder>(firebaseRecyclerOptions)
@NonNull
@Override
public ResultsViewHolder onCreateViewHolder(@NonNull ViewGroup viewGroup, int i)
View view = LayoutInflater.from(viewGroup.getContext()).inflate(R.layout.searchitem_list, viewGroup, false);
return new ResultsViewHolder(view);
@Override
protected void onBindViewHolder(@NonNull ResultsViewHolder holder, int position, @NonNull DjProfile model)
holder.setDjProfile(model);
;
recyclerView.setAdapter(firebaseRecyclerAdapter);
);
I am now getting a NullPointerException in my onStart() method when I tell the activity to start listening to the firebaseRecyclerAdapter
– beastlyCoder
Mar 28 at 19:59
Well yes, that would make sense if you callstartListeningon an adapter that hasn't been created yet. You should probably move that call to the end of theonClick.
– Frank van Puffelen
Mar 28 at 21:53
Yeah I've fixed it :)
– beastlyCoder
Mar 28 at 21:53
add a comment |
To be able to initialize the adapter, you need to have a valid query. And to be able to create the query, you need to have the searchData. This means that the initialization of the firebaseRecyclerAdapter should happen inside the onClick.
imgB.setOnClickListener(new View.OnClickListener()
@Override
public void onClick(View view)
query = mProfileDatabase.orderByChild("djprofile")
.startAt(searchData)
.endAt(searchData + "uf8ff");
FirebaseRecyclerOptions<DjProfile> firebaseRecyclerOptions = new FirebaseRecyclerOptions.Builder<DjProfile>()
.setQuery(query, DjProfile.class)
.build();
firebaseRecyclerAdapter = new FirebaseRecyclerAdapter<DjProfile, ResultsViewHolder>(firebaseRecyclerOptions)
@NonNull
@Override
public ResultsViewHolder onCreateViewHolder(@NonNull ViewGroup viewGroup, int i)
View view = LayoutInflater.from(viewGroup.getContext()).inflate(R.layout.searchitem_list, viewGroup, false);
return new ResultsViewHolder(view);
@Override
protected void onBindViewHolder(@NonNull ResultsViewHolder holder, int position, @NonNull DjProfile model)
holder.setDjProfile(model);
;
recyclerView.setAdapter(firebaseRecyclerAdapter);
);
I am now getting a NullPointerException in my onStart() method when I tell the activity to start listening to the firebaseRecyclerAdapter
– beastlyCoder
Mar 28 at 19:59
Well yes, that would make sense if you callstartListeningon an adapter that hasn't been created yet. You should probably move that call to the end of theonClick.
– Frank van Puffelen
Mar 28 at 21:53
Yeah I've fixed it :)
– beastlyCoder
Mar 28 at 21:53
add a comment |
To be able to initialize the adapter, you need to have a valid query. And to be able to create the query, you need to have the searchData. This means that the initialization of the firebaseRecyclerAdapter should happen inside the onClick.
imgB.setOnClickListener(new View.OnClickListener()
@Override
public void onClick(View view)
query = mProfileDatabase.orderByChild("djprofile")
.startAt(searchData)
.endAt(searchData + "uf8ff");
FirebaseRecyclerOptions<DjProfile> firebaseRecyclerOptions = new FirebaseRecyclerOptions.Builder<DjProfile>()
.setQuery(query, DjProfile.class)
.build();
firebaseRecyclerAdapter = new FirebaseRecyclerAdapter<DjProfile, ResultsViewHolder>(firebaseRecyclerOptions)
@NonNull
@Override
public ResultsViewHolder onCreateViewHolder(@NonNull ViewGroup viewGroup, int i)
View view = LayoutInflater.from(viewGroup.getContext()).inflate(R.layout.searchitem_list, viewGroup, false);
return new ResultsViewHolder(view);
@Override
protected void onBindViewHolder(@NonNull ResultsViewHolder holder, int position, @NonNull DjProfile model)
holder.setDjProfile(model);
;
recyclerView.setAdapter(firebaseRecyclerAdapter);
);
To be able to initialize the adapter, you need to have a valid query. And to be able to create the query, you need to have the searchData. This means that the initialization of the firebaseRecyclerAdapter should happen inside the onClick.
imgB.setOnClickListener(new View.OnClickListener()
@Override
public void onClick(View view)
query = mProfileDatabase.orderByChild("djprofile")
.startAt(searchData)
.endAt(searchData + "uf8ff");
FirebaseRecyclerOptions<DjProfile> firebaseRecyclerOptions = new FirebaseRecyclerOptions.Builder<DjProfile>()
.setQuery(query, DjProfile.class)
.build();
firebaseRecyclerAdapter = new FirebaseRecyclerAdapter<DjProfile, ResultsViewHolder>(firebaseRecyclerOptions)
@NonNull
@Override
public ResultsViewHolder onCreateViewHolder(@NonNull ViewGroup viewGroup, int i)
View view = LayoutInflater.from(viewGroup.getContext()).inflate(R.layout.searchitem_list, viewGroup, false);
return new ResultsViewHolder(view);
@Override
protected void onBindViewHolder(@NonNull ResultsViewHolder holder, int position, @NonNull DjProfile model)
holder.setDjProfile(model);
;
recyclerView.setAdapter(firebaseRecyclerAdapter);
);
answered Mar 28 at 3:29
Frank van PuffelenFrank van Puffelen
273k36 gold badges443 silver badges464 bronze badges
273k36 gold badges443 silver badges464 bronze badges
I am now getting a NullPointerException in my onStart() method when I tell the activity to start listening to the firebaseRecyclerAdapter
– beastlyCoder
Mar 28 at 19:59
Well yes, that would make sense if you callstartListeningon an adapter that hasn't been created yet. You should probably move that call to the end of theonClick.
– Frank van Puffelen
Mar 28 at 21:53
Yeah I've fixed it :)
– beastlyCoder
Mar 28 at 21:53
add a comment |
I am now getting a NullPointerException in my onStart() method when I tell the activity to start listening to the firebaseRecyclerAdapter
– beastlyCoder
Mar 28 at 19:59
Well yes, that would make sense if you callstartListeningon an adapter that hasn't been created yet. You should probably move that call to the end of theonClick.
– Frank van Puffelen
Mar 28 at 21:53
Yeah I've fixed it :)
– beastlyCoder
Mar 28 at 21:53
I am now getting a NullPointerException in my onStart() method when I tell the activity to start listening to the firebaseRecyclerAdapter
– beastlyCoder
Mar 28 at 19:59
I am now getting a NullPointerException in my onStart() method when I tell the activity to start listening to the firebaseRecyclerAdapter
– beastlyCoder
Mar 28 at 19:59
Well yes, that would make sense if you call
startListening on an adapter that hasn't been created yet. You should probably move that call to the end of the onClick.– Frank van Puffelen
Mar 28 at 21:53
Well yes, that would make sense if you call
startListening on an adapter that hasn't been created yet. You should probably move that call to the end of the onClick.– Frank van Puffelen
Mar 28 at 21:53
Yeah I've fixed it :)
– beastlyCoder
Mar 28 at 21:53
Yeah I've fixed it :)
– beastlyCoder
Mar 28 at 21:53
add a comment |
Got a question that you can’t ask on public Stack Overflow? Learn more about sharing private information with Stack Overflow for Teams.
Got a question that you can’t ask on public Stack Overflow? Learn more about sharing private information with Stack Overflow for Teams.
Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow!
- Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!
But avoid …
- Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.
- Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.
To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.
Sign up or log in
StackExchange.ready(function ()
StackExchange.helpers.onClickDraftSave('#login-link');
);
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Post as a guest
Required, but never shown
StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55389019%2fsearching-in-firebase-null-with-onclick-listener%23new-answer', 'question_page');
);
Post as a guest
Required, but never shown
Sign up or log in
StackExchange.ready(function ()
StackExchange.helpers.onClickDraftSave('#login-link');
);
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Post as a guest
Required, but never shown
Sign up or log in
StackExchange.ready(function ()
StackExchange.helpers.onClickDraftSave('#login-link');
);
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Post as a guest
Required, but never shown
Sign up or log in
StackExchange.ready(function ()
StackExchange.helpers.onClickDraftSave('#login-link');
);
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Post as a guest
Required, but never shown
Required, but never shown
Required, but never shown
Required, but never shown
Required, but never shown
Required, but never shown
Required, but never shown
Required, but never shown
Required, but never shown
1
The value of
queryis null and throw this exception. According to the source code, the query is only assigned after theimgBis clicked.– Liem Vo
Mar 28 at 2:29
I understand that. But I want to be able to search for something in that query once that ImageButton is clicked
– beastlyCoder
Mar 28 at 2:33