How to decide on segment duration in mpeg-dash?Simple mpeg dash playlist with segments of varying lengthHLS to MPEG DASHmpeg-dash combine multiple mpd files / dynamically generate mpd filempeg-dash with live streamffmpeg dash Segment offsetMpeg Dash - fragmentation and segmentationHow to make a MPEG-DASH MPD which starts the playback in the middle of the first segment?How to control access to MPEG-DASH streaming?What are the benefits and disadvantages of different options used for creating a dash stream out of an mp4 file

What can a pilot do if an air traffic controller is incapacitated?

Why is (inf + 0j)*1 == inf + nanj?

Examples of "unsuccessful" theories with afterlives

Should the average user with no special access rights be worried about SMS-based 2FA being theoretically interceptable?

My manager quit. Should I agree to defer wage increase to accommodate budget concerns?

Are Custom Indexes passed on to Sandboxes

Writing a letter of recommendation for a mediocre student

What did Tim Curry say in the movie Congo to Ernie Hudson after being insulted?

Is it a good idea to leave minor world details to the reader's imagination?

I reverse the source code, you negate the input!

On the meaning of 'anyways' in "What Exactly Is a Quartz Crystal, Anyways?"

A food item only made possible by time-freezing storage?

How to say "cheat sheet" in French

Is it true that, "just ten trading days represent 63 per cent of the returns of the past 50 years"?

Going to France with limited French for a day

My Project Manager does not accept carry-over in Scrum, Is that normal?

Do we have any particular tonal center in mind when we are NOT listening music?

Late 1970's and 6502 chip facilities for operating systems

Why is there not a feasible solution for a MIP?

2000s Animated TV show where teenagers could physically go into a virtual world

How can this Stack Exchange site have an animated favicon?

How to deal with my team leader who keeps calling me about project updates even though I am on leave for personal reasons?

Safely hang a mirror that does not have hooks

What exactly did this mechanic sabotage on the American Airlines 737, and how dangerous was it?



How to decide on segment duration in mpeg-dash?


Simple mpeg dash playlist with segments of varying lengthHLS to MPEG DASHmpeg-dash combine multiple mpd files / dynamically generate mpd filempeg-dash with live streamffmpeg dash Segment offsetMpeg Dash - fragmentation and segmentationHow to make a MPEG-DASH MPD which starts the playback in the middle of the first segment?How to control access to MPEG-DASH streaming?What are the benefits and disadvantages of different options used for creating a dash stream out of an mp4 file






.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__bot-mid-leaderboard:empty margin-bottom:0;








0















I want to convert some h264 mp4 videos to clearkey encrypted dash. For now I want to serve them on localhost. So I don't have bandwidth limitations. I'm assuming I should use dashavc264:onDemand profile with static mpd since my videos are not live and they are offline.



My question is:



How should I decide what segment duration I should use? does it depend on how often I have keyframes in my video? how does it affect seeking/trickplay performance? Does it affect anything else?










share|improve this question






























    0















    I want to convert some h264 mp4 videos to clearkey encrypted dash. For now I want to serve them on localhost. So I don't have bandwidth limitations. I'm assuming I should use dashavc264:onDemand profile with static mpd since my videos are not live and they are offline.



    My question is:



    How should I decide what segment duration I should use? does it depend on how often I have keyframes in my video? how does it affect seeking/trickplay performance? Does it affect anything else?










    share|improve this question


























      0












      0








      0








      I want to convert some h264 mp4 videos to clearkey encrypted dash. For now I want to serve them on localhost. So I don't have bandwidth limitations. I'm assuming I should use dashavc264:onDemand profile with static mpd since my videos are not live and they are offline.



      My question is:



      How should I decide what segment duration I should use? does it depend on how often I have keyframes in my video? how does it affect seeking/trickplay performance? Does it affect anything else?










      share|improve this question














      I want to convert some h264 mp4 videos to clearkey encrypted dash. For now I want to serve them on localhost. So I don't have bandwidth limitations. I'm assuming I should use dashavc264:onDemand profile with static mpd since my videos are not live and they are offline.



      My question is:



      How should I decide what segment duration I should use? does it depend on how often I have keyframes in my video? how does it affect seeking/trickplay performance? Does it affect anything else?







      video video-streaming mp4 mpeg-dash mp4box






      share|improve this question













      share|improve this question











      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question










      asked Mar 28 at 16:34









      yukashima huksayyukashima huksay

      1,2462 gold badges14 silver badges38 bronze badges




      1,2462 gold badges14 silver badges38 bronze badges

























          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes


















          1
















          It is, like many things, a balance between competing factors - efficiency, quality, flexibility etc.



          In general, short segments allow quicker bandwidth changes etc, but may not be as efficient or as high quality depending on what is traded off.



          Most implementations at the time of writing use between 2 and 10 second chunks.



          For further reading, there is a good article here looking at the different impacts of different segment lengths along with some recommendations: https://bitmovin.com/mpeg-dash-hls-segment-length/






          share|improve this answer





























            Your Answer






            StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function ()
            StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function ()
            StackExchange.using("snippets", function ()
            StackExchange.snippets.init();
            );
            );
            , "code-snippets");

            StackExchange.ready(function()
            var channelOptions =
            tags: "".split(" "),
            id: "1"
            ;
            initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

            StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
            // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
            if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
            StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
            createEditor();
            );

            else
            createEditor();

            );

            function createEditor()
            StackExchange.prepareEditor(
            heartbeatType: 'answer',
            autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
            convertImagesToLinks: true,
            noModals: true,
            showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
            reputationToPostImages: 10,
            bindNavPrevention: true,
            postfix: "",
            imageUploader:
            brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
            contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/"u003ecc by-sa 4.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
            allowUrls: true
            ,
            onDemand: true,
            discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
            ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
            );



            );














            draft saved

            draft discarded
















            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55402709%2fhow-to-decide-on-segment-duration-in-mpeg-dash%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest















            Required, but never shown

























            1 Answer
            1






            active

            oldest

            votes








            1 Answer
            1






            active

            oldest

            votes









            active

            oldest

            votes






            active

            oldest

            votes









            1
















            It is, like many things, a balance between competing factors - efficiency, quality, flexibility etc.



            In general, short segments allow quicker bandwidth changes etc, but may not be as efficient or as high quality depending on what is traded off.



            Most implementations at the time of writing use between 2 and 10 second chunks.



            For further reading, there is a good article here looking at the different impacts of different segment lengths along with some recommendations: https://bitmovin.com/mpeg-dash-hls-segment-length/






            share|improve this answer































              1
















              It is, like many things, a balance between competing factors - efficiency, quality, flexibility etc.



              In general, short segments allow quicker bandwidth changes etc, but may not be as efficient or as high quality depending on what is traded off.



              Most implementations at the time of writing use between 2 and 10 second chunks.



              For further reading, there is a good article here looking at the different impacts of different segment lengths along with some recommendations: https://bitmovin.com/mpeg-dash-hls-segment-length/






              share|improve this answer





























                1














                1










                1









                It is, like many things, a balance between competing factors - efficiency, quality, flexibility etc.



                In general, short segments allow quicker bandwidth changes etc, but may not be as efficient or as high quality depending on what is traded off.



                Most implementations at the time of writing use between 2 and 10 second chunks.



                For further reading, there is a good article here looking at the different impacts of different segment lengths along with some recommendations: https://bitmovin.com/mpeg-dash-hls-segment-length/






                share|improve this answer















                It is, like many things, a balance between competing factors - efficiency, quality, flexibility etc.



                In general, short segments allow quicker bandwidth changes etc, but may not be as efficient or as high quality depending on what is traded off.



                Most implementations at the time of writing use between 2 and 10 second chunks.



                For further reading, there is a good article here looking at the different impacts of different segment lengths along with some recommendations: https://bitmovin.com/mpeg-dash-hls-segment-length/







                share|improve this answer














                share|improve this answer



                share|improve this answer








                edited May 3 at 10:07

























                answered May 2 at 11:16









                MickMick

                13.5k1 gold badge28 silver badges70 bronze badges




                13.5k1 gold badge28 silver badges70 bronze badges

































                    draft saved

                    draft discarded















































                    Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow!


                    • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

                    But avoid …


                    • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

                    • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

                    To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




                    draft saved


                    draft discarded














                    StackExchange.ready(
                    function ()
                    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55402709%2fhow-to-decide-on-segment-duration-in-mpeg-dash%23new-answer', 'question_page');

                    );

                    Post as a guest















                    Required, but never shown





















































                    Required, but never shown














                    Required, but never shown












                    Required, but never shown







                    Required, but never shown

































                    Required, but never shown














                    Required, but never shown












                    Required, but never shown







                    Required, but never shown







                    Popular posts from this blog

                    How to preserve electronics (computers, tablets and phones) for hundreds of years Announcing the arrival of Valued Associate #679: Cesar Manara Planned maintenance scheduled April 23, 2019 at 23:30 UTC (7:30pm US/Eastern) The network's official Twitter account is up and running again. What content…How might modern humans leave a message for 50,000 years?How would an aquatic race develop computers?How do we make computers care for human life?Keeping supplies for 1000 yearsWhat will cell phones become in 100 years?What body armor protects against a laser?Could a society attain 1800s technology if limited to using copper and bronze?Electricity power (magic) and electronicsScavenging metal resources in post-apocalypse after 100 yearsWhy would precursors create devices that can survive and still work after hundreds of years?

                    155 수학 과학 기타 둘러보기 메뉴eh추가해eh문서를 완성해

                    Convert JSON to MapSimplest way to convert a string representing JSON array into Java array List of key value pairsHow to take String JSON values into HashMapConvert a JSON String to a HashMapCreating BSON object from JSON stringJSONObject - How to get a value ?Better Map ConstructorReading JSON from Url javaUpdate columns if input values are not null otherwise ignore and keep the existing values of column in databaseHow to store object represented as Json string into Couchbase Lite?Go JSON into MapHow do I efficiently iterate over each entry in a Java Map?Sort a Map<Key, Value> by valuesHow to round a number to n decimal places in JavaCan comments be used in JSON?How do I read / convert an InputStream into a String in Java?How can I pretty-print JSON in a shell script?What is the correct JSON content type?How can I deserialize JSON to a simple Dictionary<string,string> in ASP.NET?Why does Google prepend while(1); to their JSON responses?Parse JSON in JavaScript?