What is the meaning of colon in URL, followed by a wildcard character “*someparam”What is the best regular expression to check if a string is a valid URL?What is the difference between a URI, a URL and a URN?What is the maximum length of a URL in different browsers?Which characters make a URL invalid?URL encoding the space character: + or %20?Characters allowed in a URLWhat is %2C in a URL?What does bundle exec rake mean?What does .:format mean in rake routesGet URL parts in winapi

How do I politely hint customers to leave my store, without pretending to need leave store myself?

Are there take-over requests in aviation?

Why does F + F' = 1?

How would a village use its river that it shares with another village downstream?

Why is the the worst case for this function O(n^2)?

Is English tonal for some words, like "permit"?

How do I restrict an interpolated function to only take values > 0?

Are there any space probes or landers which regained communication after being lost?

CBP interview, how serious should I take it?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of Preprepints.org compared with arXiv?

Which ping implementation is cygwin using?

Why are walk-ins for Global Entry interview typically only accepted when arriving from an international flight?

Character theory and Quantum Chemistry

What is the platform on the side of Me'arat Hamachpela?

How can "life" insurance prevent the cheapening of death?

Why would thermal imaging be used to locate the Chandrayaan-2 lander?

Number of aircraft to operate in an airline company

Expected value until a success?

Can board a plane to Cameroon without a Cameroonian visa?

How to make your response cachable by browser?

Random point on a sphere

Why was "leaping into the river" a valid trial outcome to prove one's innocence?

Tear out when plate making w/ a router

My favorite color is blue what is your favorite color?



What is the meaning of colon in URL, followed by a wildcard character “*someparam”


What is the best regular expression to check if a string is a valid URL?What is the difference between a URI, a URL and a URN?What is the maximum length of a URL in different browsers?Which characters make a URL invalid?URL encoding the space character: + or %20?Characters allowed in a URLWhat is %2C in a URL?What does bundle exec rake mean?What does .:format mean in rake routesGet URL parts in winapi






.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__bot-mid-leaderboard:empty margin-bottom:0;








0















I know that this question is mixture of URL knowledge and Rails-routing, but I am new to web development therefore I search for help here(not at first, I googled it but couldn't come up with understanding).



So I read that this article and some others to understand the meaning of colon
character inside the URL. So I see that it serves as a separator for URL fragments like scheme, username, password, port (<scheme>://<username>:<password>@<host>:<port>), but in my rails routes I find something that I don't understand:



get "/api/posts/public:*params", to: 'public#api_request'


What bugs me is this part /public:*params of the URL.



I thing it is a part of the path segment of the URL, I don't know.



Can you help me please to understand that?










share|improve this question
























  • Hm, looks like it should be either color or *, not both: guides.rubyonrails.org/…

    – Sergio Tulentsev
    Mar 28 at 8:05











  • "it is a part of the path segment of the URL" - that is correct.

    – Sergio Tulentsev
    Mar 28 at 8:06











  • But to what could it extend

    – Hairi
    Mar 28 at 9:25

















0















I know that this question is mixture of URL knowledge and Rails-routing, but I am new to web development therefore I search for help here(not at first, I googled it but couldn't come up with understanding).



So I read that this article and some others to understand the meaning of colon
character inside the URL. So I see that it serves as a separator for URL fragments like scheme, username, password, port (<scheme>://<username>:<password>@<host>:<port>), but in my rails routes I find something that I don't understand:



get "/api/posts/public:*params", to: 'public#api_request'


What bugs me is this part /public:*params of the URL.



I thing it is a part of the path segment of the URL, I don't know.



Can you help me please to understand that?










share|improve this question
























  • Hm, looks like it should be either color or *, not both: guides.rubyonrails.org/…

    – Sergio Tulentsev
    Mar 28 at 8:05











  • "it is a part of the path segment of the URL" - that is correct.

    – Sergio Tulentsev
    Mar 28 at 8:06











  • But to what could it extend

    – Hairi
    Mar 28 at 9:25













0












0








0








I know that this question is mixture of URL knowledge and Rails-routing, but I am new to web development therefore I search for help here(not at first, I googled it but couldn't come up with understanding).



So I read that this article and some others to understand the meaning of colon
character inside the URL. So I see that it serves as a separator for URL fragments like scheme, username, password, port (<scheme>://<username>:<password>@<host>:<port>), but in my rails routes I find something that I don't understand:



get "/api/posts/public:*params", to: 'public#api_request'


What bugs me is this part /public:*params of the URL.



I thing it is a part of the path segment of the URL, I don't know.



Can you help me please to understand that?










share|improve this question














I know that this question is mixture of URL knowledge and Rails-routing, but I am new to web development therefore I search for help here(not at first, I googled it but couldn't come up with understanding).



So I read that this article and some others to understand the meaning of colon
character inside the URL. So I see that it serves as a separator for URL fragments like scheme, username, password, port (<scheme>://<username>:<password>@<host>:<port>), but in my rails routes I find something that I don't understand:



get "/api/posts/public:*params", to: 'public#api_request'


What bugs me is this part /public:*params of the URL.



I thing it is a part of the path segment of the URL, I don't know.



Can you help me please to understand that?







ruby-on-rails url






share|improve this question













share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked Mar 28 at 7:58









HairiHairi

9608 silver badges24 bronze badges




9608 silver badges24 bronze badges















  • Hm, looks like it should be either color or *, not both: guides.rubyonrails.org/…

    – Sergio Tulentsev
    Mar 28 at 8:05











  • "it is a part of the path segment of the URL" - that is correct.

    – Sergio Tulentsev
    Mar 28 at 8:06











  • But to what could it extend

    – Hairi
    Mar 28 at 9:25

















  • Hm, looks like it should be either color or *, not both: guides.rubyonrails.org/…

    – Sergio Tulentsev
    Mar 28 at 8:05











  • "it is a part of the path segment of the URL" - that is correct.

    – Sergio Tulentsev
    Mar 28 at 8:06











  • But to what could it extend

    – Hairi
    Mar 28 at 9:25
















Hm, looks like it should be either color or *, not both: guides.rubyonrails.org/…

– Sergio Tulentsev
Mar 28 at 8:05





Hm, looks like it should be either color or *, not both: guides.rubyonrails.org/…

– Sergio Tulentsev
Mar 28 at 8:05













"it is a part of the path segment of the URL" - that is correct.

– Sergio Tulentsev
Mar 28 at 8:06





"it is a part of the path segment of the URL" - that is correct.

– Sergio Tulentsev
Mar 28 at 8:06













But to what could it extend

– Hairi
Mar 28 at 9:25





But to what could it extend

– Hairi
Mar 28 at 9:25












0






active

oldest

votes










Your Answer






StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function ()
StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function ()
StackExchange.using("snippets", function ()
StackExchange.snippets.init();
);
);
, "code-snippets");

StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "1"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader:
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/"u003ecc by-sa 4.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
,
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);














draft saved

draft discarded
















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55392619%2fwhat-is-the-meaning-of-colon-in-url-followed-by-a-wildcard-character-somepara%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown

























0






active

oldest

votes








0






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes




Is this question similar to what you get asked at work? Learn more about asking and sharing private information with your coworkers using Stack Overflow for Teams.







Is this question similar to what you get asked at work? Learn more about asking and sharing private information with your coworkers using Stack Overflow for Teams.




















draft saved

draft discarded















































Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow!


  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid …


  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

  • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55392619%2fwhat-is-the-meaning-of-colon-in-url-followed-by-a-wildcard-character-somepara%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown





















































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown

































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown







Popular posts from this blog

How to preserve electronics (computers, tablets and phones) for hundreds of years Announcing the arrival of Valued Associate #679: Cesar Manara Planned maintenance scheduled April 23, 2019 at 23:30 UTC (7:30pm US/Eastern) The network's official Twitter account is up and running again. What content…How might modern humans leave a message for 50,000 years?How would an aquatic race develop computers?How do we make computers care for human life?Keeping supplies for 1000 yearsWhat will cell phones become in 100 years?What body armor protects against a laser?Could a society attain 1800s technology if limited to using copper and bronze?Electricity power (magic) and electronicsScavenging metal resources in post-apocalypse after 100 yearsWhy would precursors create devices that can survive and still work after hundreds of years?

155 수학 과학 기타 둘러보기 메뉴eh추가해eh문서를 완성해

Convert JSON to MapSimplest way to convert a string representing JSON array into Java array List of key value pairsHow to take String JSON values into HashMapConvert a JSON String to a HashMapCreating BSON object from JSON stringJSONObject - How to get a value ?Better Map ConstructorReading JSON from Url javaUpdate columns if input values are not null otherwise ignore and keep the existing values of column in databaseHow to store object represented as Json string into Couchbase Lite?Go JSON into MapHow do I efficiently iterate over each entry in a Java Map?Sort a Map<Key, Value> by valuesHow to round a number to n decimal places in JavaCan comments be used in JSON?How do I read / convert an InputStream into a String in Java?How can I pretty-print JSON in a shell script?What is the correct JSON content type?How can I deserialize JSON to a simple Dictionary<string,string> in ASP.NET?Why does Google prepend while(1); to their JSON responses?Parse JSON in JavaScript?