Autogenerate composite key in SQLiteHow to list the tables in a SQLite database file that was opened with ATTACH?Any good ORM tools for Android development?SQLite - UPSERT *not* INSERT or REPLACESqlite primary key on multiple columnsHow can I define a composite primary key in SQL?How do I check in SQLite whether a table exists?SQLite Reset Primary Key FieldImprove INSERT-per-second performance of SQLite?How to properly create composite primary keys - MYSQLALTER TABLE to add a composite primary key

What is the meaning of "понаехать"?

Do I have to explain the mechanical superiority of the player-character within the fiction of the game?

Second 100 amp breaker inside existing 200 amp residential panel for new detached garage

Overloading operator[] and NOT getting "lvalue required as left operand of assignment" error

How can I prevent a user from copying files on another hard drive?

Is there a name for the trope when there is a moments dialogue when someone pauses just before they leave the room?

I found a password with hashcat, but it doesn't work

Can I enter the UK for 24 hours from a Schengen area, holding an Indian passport?

Is there any proof that high saturation and contrast makes a picture more appealing in social media?

What constitutes a syllable?

Why is oilcloth made with linseed oil?

Should the party get XP for a monster they never attacked?

How did the Vostok ejection seat safely eject an astronaut from a sealed space capsule?

What is "industrial ethernet"?

Is there a difference between an NFC and RFID chip?

Print one file per line using echo

Improve appearance of the table in Latex

Boss wants someone else to lead a project based on the idea I presented to him

A word for delight at someone else's failure?

Why is it easier to balance a non-moving bike standing up than sitting down?

I just entered the USA without passport control at Atlanta airport

Is there a term for the belief that "if it's legal, it's moral"?

Dmesg full of I/O errors, smart ok, four disks affected

Novel in which alien (Martian?) is trapped on Earth in prehistory



Autogenerate composite key in SQLite


How to list the tables in a SQLite database file that was opened with ATTACH?Any good ORM tools for Android development?SQLite - UPSERT *not* INSERT or REPLACESqlite primary key on multiple columnsHow can I define a composite primary key in SQL?How do I check in SQLite whether a table exists?SQLite Reset Primary Key FieldImprove INSERT-per-second performance of SQLite?How to properly create composite primary keys - MYSQLALTER TABLE to add a composite primary key






.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__bot-mid-leaderboard:empty height:90px;width:728px;box-sizing:border-box;








2















I have a composite primary key shop_id, product_id for SQLite
Now, I want an auto-increment value for product_id which resets to 1 if shop id is changed. Basically, I want auto-generated composite key
e.g.



Shop ID Product Id



1 1



1 2



1 3



2 1



2 2



3 1



Can I achieve this with auto-increment? How?










share|improve this question




























    2















    I have a composite primary key shop_id, product_id for SQLite
    Now, I want an auto-increment value for product_id which resets to 1 if shop id is changed. Basically, I want auto-generated composite key
    e.g.



    Shop ID Product Id



    1 1



    1 2



    1 3



    2 1



    2 2



    3 1



    Can I achieve this with auto-increment? How?










    share|improve this question
























      2












      2








      2








      I have a composite primary key shop_id, product_id for SQLite
      Now, I want an auto-increment value for product_id which resets to 1 if shop id is changed. Basically, I want auto-generated composite key
      e.g.



      Shop ID Product Id



      1 1



      1 2



      1 3



      2 1



      2 2



      3 1



      Can I achieve this with auto-increment? How?










      share|improve this question














      I have a composite primary key shop_id, product_id for SQLite
      Now, I want an auto-increment value for product_id which resets to 1 if shop id is changed. Basically, I want auto-generated composite key
      e.g.



      Shop ID Product Id



      1 1



      1 2



      1 3



      2 1



      2 2



      3 1



      Can I achieve this with auto-increment? How?







      sqlite android-sqlite composite-primary-key






      share|improve this question













      share|improve this question











      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question










      asked Mar 25 at 7:07









      VrishankVrishank

      15714




      15714






















          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes


















          3














          Normal Sqlite tables are B*-trees that use a 64-bit integer as their key. This is called the rowid. When inserting a row, if a value is not explicitly given for this, one is generated. An INTEGER PRIMARY KEY column acts as an alias for this rowid. The AUTOINCREMENT keyword, which can only be used on said INTEGER PRIMARY KEY column, contrary to the name, merely alters how said rowid is calculated - if you leave out a value, one will be created whether that keyword is present or not, because it's really the rowid and must have a number. Details here. (rowid values are generally generated in increasing, but not necessarily sequential, order, and shouldn't be treated like a row number or anything like that, btw).



          Any primary key other than a single INTEGER column is treated as a unique index, while the rowid remains the true primary key (Unless it's a WITHOUT ROWID table), and is not autogenerated. So, no, you can't (easily) do what you want.



          I would probably work out a database design where you have a table of shops, a table of products, each with their own ids, and a junction table that establishes a many-to-many relation between the two. This keeps the product id the same between stores, which is probably going to be less confusing to people - I wouldn't expect the same item to have a different SKU in two different stores of the same chain, for instance.



          Something like:



          CREATE TABLE stores(store_id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY
          , address TEXT
          -- etc
          );
          CREATE TABLE product(prod_id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY
          , name TEXT
          -- etc
          );
          CREATE TABLE inventory(store_id INTEGER REFERENCES stores(store_id)
          , prod_id INTEGER REFERENCES product(prod_id)
          , PRIMARY KEY(store_id, prod_id)) WITHOUT ROWID;





          share|improve this answer

























            Your Answer






            StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function ()
            StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function ()
            StackExchange.using("snippets", function ()
            StackExchange.snippets.init();
            );
            );
            , "code-snippets");

            StackExchange.ready(function()
            var channelOptions =
            tags: "".split(" "),
            id: "1"
            ;
            initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

            StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
            // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
            if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
            StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
            createEditor();
            );

            else
            createEditor();

            );

            function createEditor()
            StackExchange.prepareEditor(
            heartbeatType: 'answer',
            autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
            convertImagesToLinks: true,
            noModals: true,
            showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
            reputationToPostImages: 10,
            bindNavPrevention: true,
            postfix: "",
            imageUploader:
            brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
            contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
            allowUrls: true
            ,
            onDemand: true,
            discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
            ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
            );



            );













            draft saved

            draft discarded


















            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55332718%2fautogenerate-composite-key-in-sqlite%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest















            Required, but never shown

























            1 Answer
            1






            active

            oldest

            votes








            1 Answer
            1






            active

            oldest

            votes









            active

            oldest

            votes






            active

            oldest

            votes









            3














            Normal Sqlite tables are B*-trees that use a 64-bit integer as their key. This is called the rowid. When inserting a row, if a value is not explicitly given for this, one is generated. An INTEGER PRIMARY KEY column acts as an alias for this rowid. The AUTOINCREMENT keyword, which can only be used on said INTEGER PRIMARY KEY column, contrary to the name, merely alters how said rowid is calculated - if you leave out a value, one will be created whether that keyword is present or not, because it's really the rowid and must have a number. Details here. (rowid values are generally generated in increasing, but not necessarily sequential, order, and shouldn't be treated like a row number or anything like that, btw).



            Any primary key other than a single INTEGER column is treated as a unique index, while the rowid remains the true primary key (Unless it's a WITHOUT ROWID table), and is not autogenerated. So, no, you can't (easily) do what you want.



            I would probably work out a database design where you have a table of shops, a table of products, each with their own ids, and a junction table that establishes a many-to-many relation between the two. This keeps the product id the same between stores, which is probably going to be less confusing to people - I wouldn't expect the same item to have a different SKU in two different stores of the same chain, for instance.



            Something like:



            CREATE TABLE stores(store_id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY
            , address TEXT
            -- etc
            );
            CREATE TABLE product(prod_id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY
            , name TEXT
            -- etc
            );
            CREATE TABLE inventory(store_id INTEGER REFERENCES stores(store_id)
            , prod_id INTEGER REFERENCES product(prod_id)
            , PRIMARY KEY(store_id, prod_id)) WITHOUT ROWID;





            share|improve this answer





























              3














              Normal Sqlite tables are B*-trees that use a 64-bit integer as their key. This is called the rowid. When inserting a row, if a value is not explicitly given for this, one is generated. An INTEGER PRIMARY KEY column acts as an alias for this rowid. The AUTOINCREMENT keyword, which can only be used on said INTEGER PRIMARY KEY column, contrary to the name, merely alters how said rowid is calculated - if you leave out a value, one will be created whether that keyword is present or not, because it's really the rowid and must have a number. Details here. (rowid values are generally generated in increasing, but not necessarily sequential, order, and shouldn't be treated like a row number or anything like that, btw).



              Any primary key other than a single INTEGER column is treated as a unique index, while the rowid remains the true primary key (Unless it's a WITHOUT ROWID table), and is not autogenerated. So, no, you can't (easily) do what you want.



              I would probably work out a database design where you have a table of shops, a table of products, each with their own ids, and a junction table that establishes a many-to-many relation between the two. This keeps the product id the same between stores, which is probably going to be less confusing to people - I wouldn't expect the same item to have a different SKU in two different stores of the same chain, for instance.



              Something like:



              CREATE TABLE stores(store_id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY
              , address TEXT
              -- etc
              );
              CREATE TABLE product(prod_id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY
              , name TEXT
              -- etc
              );
              CREATE TABLE inventory(store_id INTEGER REFERENCES stores(store_id)
              , prod_id INTEGER REFERENCES product(prod_id)
              , PRIMARY KEY(store_id, prod_id)) WITHOUT ROWID;





              share|improve this answer



























                3












                3








                3







                Normal Sqlite tables are B*-trees that use a 64-bit integer as their key. This is called the rowid. When inserting a row, if a value is not explicitly given for this, one is generated. An INTEGER PRIMARY KEY column acts as an alias for this rowid. The AUTOINCREMENT keyword, which can only be used on said INTEGER PRIMARY KEY column, contrary to the name, merely alters how said rowid is calculated - if you leave out a value, one will be created whether that keyword is present or not, because it's really the rowid and must have a number. Details here. (rowid values are generally generated in increasing, but not necessarily sequential, order, and shouldn't be treated like a row number or anything like that, btw).



                Any primary key other than a single INTEGER column is treated as a unique index, while the rowid remains the true primary key (Unless it's a WITHOUT ROWID table), and is not autogenerated. So, no, you can't (easily) do what you want.



                I would probably work out a database design where you have a table of shops, a table of products, each with their own ids, and a junction table that establishes a many-to-many relation between the two. This keeps the product id the same between stores, which is probably going to be less confusing to people - I wouldn't expect the same item to have a different SKU in two different stores of the same chain, for instance.



                Something like:



                CREATE TABLE stores(store_id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY
                , address TEXT
                -- etc
                );
                CREATE TABLE product(prod_id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY
                , name TEXT
                -- etc
                );
                CREATE TABLE inventory(store_id INTEGER REFERENCES stores(store_id)
                , prod_id INTEGER REFERENCES product(prod_id)
                , PRIMARY KEY(store_id, prod_id)) WITHOUT ROWID;





                share|improve this answer















                Normal Sqlite tables are B*-trees that use a 64-bit integer as their key. This is called the rowid. When inserting a row, if a value is not explicitly given for this, one is generated. An INTEGER PRIMARY KEY column acts as an alias for this rowid. The AUTOINCREMENT keyword, which can only be used on said INTEGER PRIMARY KEY column, contrary to the name, merely alters how said rowid is calculated - if you leave out a value, one will be created whether that keyword is present or not, because it's really the rowid and must have a number. Details here. (rowid values are generally generated in increasing, but not necessarily sequential, order, and shouldn't be treated like a row number or anything like that, btw).



                Any primary key other than a single INTEGER column is treated as a unique index, while the rowid remains the true primary key (Unless it's a WITHOUT ROWID table), and is not autogenerated. So, no, you can't (easily) do what you want.



                I would probably work out a database design where you have a table of shops, a table of products, each with their own ids, and a junction table that establishes a many-to-many relation between the two. This keeps the product id the same between stores, which is probably going to be less confusing to people - I wouldn't expect the same item to have a different SKU in two different stores of the same chain, for instance.



                Something like:



                CREATE TABLE stores(store_id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY
                , address TEXT
                -- etc
                );
                CREATE TABLE product(prod_id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY
                , name TEXT
                -- etc
                );
                CREATE TABLE inventory(store_id INTEGER REFERENCES stores(store_id)
                , prod_id INTEGER REFERENCES product(prod_id)
                , PRIMARY KEY(store_id, prod_id)) WITHOUT ROWID;






                share|improve this answer














                share|improve this answer



                share|improve this answer








                edited Mar 25 at 7:46

























                answered Mar 25 at 7:40









                ShawnShawn

                7,2902716




                7,2902716





























                    draft saved

                    draft discarded
















































                    Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow!


                    • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

                    But avoid …


                    • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

                    • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

                    To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




                    draft saved


                    draft discarded














                    StackExchange.ready(
                    function ()
                    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55332718%2fautogenerate-composite-key-in-sqlite%23new-answer', 'question_page');

                    );

                    Post as a guest















                    Required, but never shown





















































                    Required, but never shown














                    Required, but never shown












                    Required, but never shown







                    Required, but never shown

































                    Required, but never shown














                    Required, but never shown












                    Required, but never shown







                    Required, but never shown







                    Popular posts from this blog

                    How to preserve electronics (computers, tablets and phones) for hundreds of years Announcing the arrival of Valued Associate #679: Cesar Manara Planned maintenance scheduled April 23, 2019 at 23:30 UTC (7:30pm US/Eastern) The network's official Twitter account is up and running again. What content…How might modern humans leave a message for 50,000 years?How would an aquatic race develop computers?How do we make computers care for human life?Keeping supplies for 1000 yearsWhat will cell phones become in 100 years?What body armor protects against a laser?Could a society attain 1800s technology if limited to using copper and bronze?Electricity power (magic) and electronicsScavenging metal resources in post-apocalypse after 100 yearsWhy would precursors create devices that can survive and still work after hundreds of years?

                    155 수학 과학 기타 둘러보기 메뉴eh추가해eh문서를 완성해

                    Convert JSON to MapSimplest way to convert a string representing JSON array into Java array List of key value pairsHow to take String JSON values into HashMapConvert a JSON String to a HashMapCreating BSON object from JSON stringJSONObject - How to get a value ?Better Map ConstructorReading JSON from Url javaUpdate columns if input values are not null otherwise ignore and keep the existing values of column in databaseHow to store object represented as Json string into Couchbase Lite?Go JSON into MapHow do I efficiently iterate over each entry in a Java Map?Sort a Map<Key, Value> by valuesHow to round a number to n decimal places in JavaCan comments be used in JSON?How do I read / convert an InputStream into a String in Java?How can I pretty-print JSON in a shell script?What is the correct JSON content type?How can I deserialize JSON to a simple Dictionary<string,string> in ASP.NET?Why does Google prepend while(1); to their JSON responses?Parse JSON in JavaScript?